Explanation of SketchesA Bird On! Bird Sketch is intended to be a quick reference for someone who is curious about a species. A sketch is designed for quick downloading and has no graphics, though it may reference graphics and more detailed descriptions that the reader may download if desired.
Each sketch consists of:
- English name of species.
- Scientific name of species.
- Approximately 100 words about the species to put it into context for anybody with an interest in birds.
- A one line summary.
- Reference to any other Bird On! information about the species, including graphics and Bird On! Bird Portraits.
- Details of three measurements of an average bird of the species:
- Length: length of the whole bird from tip of beak to end of tail when standing normally.
- Closed wing: the most usual measurement taken by ringers (banders). It is the distance, straightened and flattened out, from the carpal joint (wrist) to the tip of the main flight feathers (longest primary).
- Weight: weight in grams.