National Nest Box Week Events
Bird On! News
31st January 1997
The first annual National Nest Box Week will be held throughout the United Kingdom from 14 - 21 February 1997. Bird On! is pleased to provide the following comprehensive list of related events:
- BERKSHIRE, Braywick Nature Centre, Maidenhead.
Friday 14 February 1030-1230.
Building a nest box for home use - £3.50 - £4.00 per box.
Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead.
01628 777440. Information Packs available.
- BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, ARC Wildfowl Centre, Wolverton Road, Milton Keynes
Saturday 15 February, 1330-1600 Milton Keynes Parks Trust.
Nest box making, birdwatching and bird oriented environmental games - entry free
01908 201545 - Information Packs available.
- CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Milton Country Park, Milton.
Sunday 16 February - 1200 - 1600.
Friends of Milton Country Park. Construction of nest boxes.
01223 420060 - Instruction Packs available.
- CAMBRIDGESHIRE - WWT Welney.
Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 February.
Build a Box and create a Cake - donations needed if you want to keep the box!
Contact 01353 860711.
- CORNWALL, Wacker Woods - park in lay-by at GR SX390552
Sunday 16 February. 1400-1630.
Cornwall Wildlife Trust, Fox Club and Watch (Caradon Branch).
Nest Box Bash in the woods - bring a box if you can to be erected. Free but donations please.
Contact 01579 370433 - Information Packs not available.
- CUMBRIA - Rickerby Park, Carlisle NY406570.
Sunday 23 February 1100 - 1300. Carlisle City Council. Making and erecting nest boxes. Entrance free.
Contact 01228 23411 (ext 2434). Information packs available.
- DERBYSHIRE - Hope Valley Watch Group, the school at Hathersage.
Saturday 15 February from 1030 - 1200. All about nest boxes.
Contact 01433 631969 or GMBell@aol.com
- DUMFRIESSHIRE - WWT, Caerlaverock.
Nest box making demonstrations for the week commencing 15 February.
Contact 01247 770200
- DYFED - WWT Llanelli.
Happens all week
Nest box making with a special focus on their House Sparrow study.
Contact 01554 741087
- HEREFORDSHIRE, Willow Gallery, Weobley.
Saturday 22 February 1030 - 1630.
Hereford Ornithological Club. Free entrance for nest box building.
01981 500236 - Information packs available.
- ISLE OF WIGHT, Parker Hardware, Sandown.
End of January to 21 February.
Window display of nest boxes and boxes and packs will be available
- GLOUCESTERSHIRE - WWT Slimbridge.
Display all the time but demonstrations at 1200 daily and free Heading North trail will help young visitors understand how birds get ready for nesting.
Contact 01453 890333.
- KENT, Pympes Court Farm Centre, Busbridge Road, TOVIL, Maidstone.
Saturday 15 February 1000-1230.
Loose Valley YOC Group - WILDLIFE ACTION COFFEE MORNING.
All sorts of activities for the children including making nest boxes. 50p entrance fee.
Contact 01622 743193 - Information Packs available.
- LANCASHIRE, Piedhorne Valley Rangers at Water Works Road, Newhey, Rochdale.
Junior event on 15 February at 1400, adult and family event 16 February 1000 - 1600.
Box building - not sure whether free.
Contact 01706 881049 - Information Packs Available.
- LANCASHIRE - WWT Martin Mere.
Nest box making demonstrations for the week commencing 15 February.
Contact 01704 895181
- LEICESTERSHIRE, Market Bosworth Country Park.
Sunday 16 February 1330 - 1600.
Building and erecting nest boxes - costs not determined yet.
01455 290429 - Information Packs available.
- LONDON. Cannon Hill Common Pavilion. Friends of Cannon Hill Common and the London Wildlife Trust.
Saturday February 15 at 1000.
Erecting extra nest boxes and maintaining those already up.
0181 540 0042 - Information Packs NOT available.
- MIDDLESEX, The Stockyard,. Bushy Park, Hampton.
Saturday 15 February 1000 - 1500.
Display about nest boxes, birdwatching and walks - free.
Contact BTO member on 0181 894 4895 - Information Packs available.
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - Daventry Country Park.
Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 February 1130 onwards. Slides, talks, making boxes, how to site them and erect them. Schools and live local radio interviews. Entrance free.
Contact 01327 877193. Information packs available.
- NORTHERN IRELAND, Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust Castle Espie
Saturday and Sunday 15 and 16 February 1400-1600
Bird box building demo.
01247 874146 - Information Packs available.
- OXFORD, Brasenose Farm, Shotover Country Park - off the Eastern Bypass at Cowley.
Sunday 16 February at any time between 1000 and1300.
Oxford City Council Countryside Service. Build and erect boxes - free but £3 if you want to keep the box!
01865 715830. Information Packs NOT available.
- PETERBOROUGH, Environment Centre
From Friday 14th February.
Peterborough City Council and Environment City Trust.
Display of nest boxes and free information packs for first 50 visitors.
- SUFFOLK, Clare Castle Country Park, Clare, Sudbury
Sunday 16 February 1000-1230 - Clare Castle Country Park, Suffolk County Council
Build two boxes - one for you one for the country park and walk around it erecting these.
01787 277491 - Information Packs available.
- SUFFOLK, Haverhill Cemetery (off Withersfield Road) meet outside the Chapel.
Saturday 15 February 1100 - 1400. Suffolk Wildlife Trust.
Nest-box making - two boxes £3 and £2 for the pack which will be available on site.
01440 710745 - Sarah Winning.
- SUSSEX - WWT, Arundel.
Nest box making demonstrations 22 & 23 February.
Contact 01903 883355.
- TAY REGION, Barrack Street Museum.
Saturday 15 Feb from 1000-1600.
Jointly with local RSPB Group.
Drop in any time for Nest Box assembly and chat about boxes - £3.50
01388 432067 - Information Packs available.
- TEES: Billingham Beck Valley Country Park - Ecology Park at NZ453228.
Saturday 15 February at 1400. Making boxes - free but 2.50 for a box to take away.
Contact 01642 530784 - Information packs are available.
- TYNE & WEAR - WWT Washington.
Monday 17 and Thursday 20 February 1100 - 1500.
Parents and children with saws to make boxes for themselves or for the reserve.
Contact 0191 4165454 -- PRE-BOOK PLEASE
- WEST YORKSHIRE, Tunnel End Canal & Countryside Centre, Marsden
Sunday 23 February 1100-1600 National Trust
Bird Box Day - free entry but small charge for materials
01484 847016 - Information Packs not available.
- WEST YORKSHIRE. Knott Wood, Hebden Bridge.
Sunday 16 February at 1000.
Knott Wood Coppicers. Assembling and erecting boxes - free but donations welcome.
No contact phone number. Information Packs available.
- WORCESTERSHIRE, Worcester Countryside Centre, Wildwood Drive.
The whole week.
Displays and information - boxes for sale. Free entry.
01905 766493 - Information Packs not available.
- YORKSHIRE, Skelmanthorpe
16 February 1000-1330
BTCV, Free - making nest boxes, bird table and feeders. Information Pack not available.
YOU MUST BOOK - CALL 91484 420751 to reserve your place and receive instructions on where to go.
- WILDFOWL AND WETLANDS TRUST have events all over the place.
Information packs available at least at Slimbridge.
No further charge after normal entrance fee - ranges from £3.00 TO £5.00 full rate for adult.
Centres are open from 0930-1600.